Staff Tips – Kayaking
- Kayaking can be a dangerous sport. It is advisable to know the limits of you and your kayaking gear. Always wear a helmet, no matter where you are paddling.
- If you haven't paddled the river you intend to, check with a guide book or speak to local paddlers for useful tips and advice.
- It is advisable to tell people when and where you are paddling and how long you intend to be away, even if you think you will only be a few hours.
- Kayaking is a diverse and fun sport. There are also many disciplines within the sport. Try as many different types of kayaking as you can. There is polo, slalom, surf, sprint, white water...get out there and find out what you enjoy most.
- When attaching your spraydeck it’s a good idea to check that the grab handle is free and ready to pull in case of a capsize.
- If you want to learn the basics, it is a good idea to join a club or group and practise in a swimming pool. It's easier to pick up the techniques - and it’s warmer!