Staff Tips – Snowsports
- Prior to any snow-sports trip, it's worthwhile checking out if your equipment is in a safe and useable condition. Generally, your skis or board should be fully serviced once every season, or depending on the frequency of usage. A properly tuned and waxed pair of skis or board will initiate turns easier, provide greater edge hold and glide faster. Your ski binding release settings should be reviewed annually as your skier ability or weight may vary, and a binding function test should be conducted to check correct release function and for any signs of wear and tear. Lastly, check for signs of damage or excessive wear on your ski boots, and seek professional advice if in any doubt.
- Dressing sensibly for the slopes will ensure your experience is both comfortable and enjoyable. Layering up allows you to add or remove layers depending on the weather conditions and your level of physical activity. Plan ahead, and respect the often volatile mountain conditions.
- Always use a high factor sunscreen, as the intensity of the sunís UV rays increase with every 100 metres of elevation. Even during a cloudy alpine day, the sun can cause severe sunburn and long term skin damage. Wear full protection eyewear, preferably goggles as they offer greater protection from the elements, and stay on your head! Ensure you drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration (preferably not alcohol!) and maintain your energy intake with regular snacks.
- Take the time to familiarise yourself with local resort safety and weather information, stay on the marked piste trails where possible and if travelling overseas, ensure you have adequate travel insurance that covers you for any unexpected travel or medical expenses.
- Make yourself aware of the skier/boarder code of conduct, and respect other mountain users. Take lessons if required to fine tune your technique or social networking skills and if heading off-piste, always use the professional direction of a qualified guide.
- Drop into any Tiso store for advice on choosing the right clothing and accessories, and last but not least, have fun!